Knitting Crazy Cat Ladies

Cat Loving Knitters of the World Unite! But please, keep the wool away from your fur babies.

Monday, May 01, 2006

This is Baby Cat

His real full name was "Zeddicus Z'ul Zorrander, Wizard Of the First Order". He weighed almost 40lbs, he was a BIG guy.

What a name, 'eh? I had always wanted an orange tabby, the entire time I'd been with DH. Whenever we were "in the market" nobody ever had one. Well once, there was one in a liter, but that was the only one they weren't parting with. Bummer.

At my old job, a girl I worked with had taken in a stray that was pregnant. Getting another cat was the furthest from my mind. The year prior, we had to find a new home for Roscoe (P. Coltrane, of course), because we had moved into a new place that only allowed one cat. At any rate, the girl had IM'ed me that the cat had kittens, and described them. One was an orange tabby. Fate? I named him automatically, but still wasn't going to take him. When they were weaned she was about to start finding homes. I couldn't possibly let this little Zedd go to somewhere else. I'd never seen him, but he was mine. So we brought him home. He was only about 8 or 9 weeks old, and just a tiny little guy.

Joey woke up from his nap to see this little orange fluffball sitting on his bed. He said "OH!! You got me a baby cat!" - from that day on, that cat came by no other name. Baby Cat it was.

Every night, Baby Cat slept on Joey's bed, right at his head on the pillow. If Joey napped on the couch or the floor, Baby Cat was right there.

This past summer, BC got a urniary blockage, which thankfully 'corrected' itself. But he was still in danger. He hadn't been the same since that, we could still tell he was sick, but couldn't afford a vet bill, by any means. My MIL had footed the bill when we took him in for the summer, because we couldn't afford it.

We made the decision, as difficult as it was, to take him in. DS was devastated, even though we told him he just moved away. BC was the sweetest, most cuddliest cat on the planet, and we miss him horribly :(

3 Comments:

At 5/02/2006 11:49 AM, Blogger Monica said...

40 pounds! :-o... it's like a small human! I'm sure your son misses him quite a bit too...but hopefully Nermal is helping fill that hole. BC sure looks like a handsome boy...

 
At 5/02/2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Fiber Follies said...

BC sure had a glorious presence. I'd love to have met him. Good that Nermal is doing her best, too. Your son must be one special little boy to gain such attachment from kitties. Nermal has gorgeous eyes.

 
At 5/03/2006 8:02 PM, Blogger buttercup said...

I know exactly how you feel and know what a hard decision it is. Love to you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home